Monday, October 4, 2010

God Bless Her...

For years friends have been aware of my "reading blogs" addiction and several of you have asked me to start a blog. I have always denied stating I don't know what I would write about. Well this may not be the blog many of you expected, it is a blog nonetheless. This blog is about my Mother and for those of you who know her realize quickly that I will never have a lack of material, which has always been my blog writer hesitation. This blog will be dedicated to the words of wisdom, motherly advice, stories, and warnings about "My Mom Buck".

Let's get started. My Mom is enjoying her first fall as a retired pre-school teacher. Well God bless her, she has been contemplating heavily on what she can do to fill her time in terms of volunteerism. She had indicated an interest in singing in the church group that volunteers their voices to sing at funerals. My Mom calls the church and speaks to the receptionist about setting up a time to hear this choir sing and learn more about it. Our conversation following this call goes like this...

Mom-"Well I talked to the lady at St. Stephen's. I couldn't really tell if I liked her or not. She was a jaw talker, ya know?"
Me- "Okay"
Mom-"I did tell her for the second largest church in the archdiocese I am very disappointed in their music program. She did agree with me there so maybe I do like her"
We close this discussion with my Mom heading off to their regularly scheduled practice the next day.

Conversation following meeting the next day...
Me- "Well how was your meeting?"
Mom-Somewhat distracted and laughing replies, "Well, hmmm", avoiding a direct answer.
Me-"You called the wrong church" No question mark needed.
Mom-"Well I got to church and no one knew what I was talking about and I couldn't find the lady on I spoke to on the phone. Hold on I am on the computer, I am looking at what number I called...okay here it is 453 Main Street, NC...is NC North Carolina?"
Me- "Yes, that would be what NC stands for"
Mom- "Phone number 617...
Me-"Mom you dialed a 617 area code to a church a mile away and that didn't trigger you may have the wrong church?"
Mom-"Laura I don't know all the area codes in MN"
Me-"The church is down the street, have you ever dialed 617 in your life?!"
Mom-Laughing "I don't know, I must have been distracted when I was dialing"

The conversation on that topic ends there. She plans on going back to St. Stephen's in Anoka, MN the following day to hear their funeral choir sing. Things like this happen daily to my Mother, I will be mostly sharing the advice as I feel it is too important not to share with the rest of you...as my Mother's favorite quote would be "better safe than sorry". I hope that this blog can add some humor to your day and who knows maybe you will even learn something.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my stinkin goodness!!! Classic Judy. :) When I saw the name of your blog I knew it was going to be good!!! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny story. I miss Judy. Can you explain why she is called Buck? I think you told me once, but I can't remember now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!!! I laughed out loud! Judy sounds a lot like my Mama Pam....hilarious! Can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete